The broad functions of the Directorate are as under:
- To plan and ensure effective and correct projection and publicity of the Armed Forces and its co-ordination through various publicity media such as Press, Radio, and T.V, etc.
- To act as the only agency for co-ordinating and releasing information news, views, photographs and advertisements of the three services in an appropriate manner so as to prevent leakage of information.
- To publish house journals for the Armed Forces and other organizations under the Defence Division.
- To vet and clear all sorts of write-ups of members of the Armed Forces and other organizations under the Defence Division meant for publication/broadcast/telecast.
- To initiate and co-ordinate programmes presented/participated in by members of the Armed Forces for broadcast/broadcast/telecast/filming.
- To arrange production and exhibition of documentary films for boosting up the morale of the members of the Armed Forces.
- To maintain reference and press clippings on the Armed Forces, activity.
- To scan foreign press reports and monitoring reports on our Armed Forces and to issue rejoinder, if necessary.
- To initiate psychological warfare on behalf of the Armed Forces, if need be.